Welcome to the New Zealand Home Loans Media Centre. Below is a selection of information that is available for use by the Media. If you wish to obtain a quote, comment or further information please contact Todd Stephenson – Marketing Manager (027 702 7697) or Julian Travaglia – CEO
A bit about NZHL
- New Zealand Home Loans has over 79 franchises nationwide with over 220 people.
- Head Office is based in Hamilton.
- The wholly New Zealand owned and operated franchise company was set up in 1996 by John Erkkila and Murray Ferguson, who had become increasingly concerned about the way that banks traditionally marketed loan products that would ensure that clients had a burden of debt hanging over them for many years.
- On July 1, 2012 New Zealand Home Loans became 100 per cent owned by Kiwi Group Holding (who also own Kiwibank), and now accounts for more than 30 per cent of the Kiwibank’s home loans.
- In the 2016 sales year NZHL lent $1.46 billion
- The Company has approximately $5.5 billion lent to some 19,580 clients.
- NZHL was awarded the Deloittes Fast50 Award for Mature Business in the Central Region in 2012 and 2013 (the first time a company has won this award two years in a row) and the Fastest Growing Services Business (Central North Island) in 2013.
- In 2013 the Company won the Supreme Award – Westpac Waikato Business of the Year Award; the Tompkins Wake Award (15-49 FTE’s) and the Waikato Management School Leader of the Year Award for its CEO at the time, Mark Collins at the Waikato Business Excellence Awards.
- The Company’s core product is a transactional account with a reducing principal and interest loan. All income is channelled through one account, reducing interest costs.
- debtnav is a software product used by New Zealand Home Loan clients enabling them to monitor their budget against their actual expenditure via a graph which is updated daily to see if they are ahead or behind their target
Julian Travaglia – CEO
Julian’s career to date has spanned more than 25 years within the financial services industry.
Beginning at the National Bank of New Zealand (now ANZ), Julian worked in the retail branch network in Auckland and the Waikato in various roles ranging from home loans to rural lending and culminating in him becoming the youngest Commercial Banking Manager in the National Bank at the time of his appointment.
With his next move to AMP Financial Services, Julian held multiple positions including Assistant Regional Manager of the Mid-Northern Region, leader of specialist life insurance and superannuation technical support and training teams and he also managed the development and rollout of bespoke CRM and financial planning business tools to the nation-wide AMP adviser network. He spent the next three years revamping and leading AMP’s retail investment proposition before moving to Activa, the start-up subsidiary of Southern Cross Healthcare. Here he designed and managed the rollout of New Zealand’s first health management account via third party distribution networks throughout New Zealand.
Julian was brought on to the US-based multinational insurer AIG as part of the coveted world-wide Management Associate program which saw him based at AIG’s head office in New York for a three month period during the GFC in 2008. After graduating the program he enjoyed seven years working for AIG in New Zealand firstly as Head of the Consumer division of AIG and finally as Head of Client & Broker Distribution. He has now joined New Zealand Home Loans as the company’s Chief Executive Officer in October 2015.
Julian is married to Sarah, has twin boys and lives with his family in Hamilton.
28th April 2016 – NZHL appoints new COO
13th August 2015 – NZHL appoints new CEO
9th November 2013 – NZHL wins at Waikato Business Excellence Awards
26th October 2012 – NZHL makes history with Deloitte Fast50 Award
5th December 2012 – NZHL reaches $1 Billion
26th October 2012 – NZHL wins Fast50 Award
9th July 2012 – NZHL purchase complete