Financial Advice Provider Disclosure Statement
The New Zealand Home Loan Company Ltd (NZHL) is licenced as a Financial Advice Provider (FSP30301) with Financial Markets Authority (FMA). NZHL operates via franchises which are registered with the Financial Markets Authority (FMA) as an Authorised Body and operate under NZHL’s Financial Advice Provider licence. Both NZHL and its franchises are regulated by the FMA. Our Financial Advisers are registered on the Financial Service Providers Register and provide advice on home loan and insurance products.
NZHL operates from two locations: 903 Victoria Street, Hamilton, 3204 and 3/30 Ponsonby Road, Auckland, 1011. Contact us via email on [email protected] or call us on 0800 332 837.
NZHL is owned by Kiwi Group Holdings Limited which also owns Kiwibank Limited. Kiwibank is one of our home loan lenders, we also deal with ASB Limited. Both ASB and Kiwibank are providers of the NZHL Home Loan product and we do not have a preferred lender. The lender is selected based on the client’s needs and circumstances.
What product and services can we advise our clients on?
Home Loans – our financial advisers can give advice on New Zealand Home Loan product (underwritten by Kiwibank or ASB), Resimac Home Loans (Prime & Specialist products) and Liberty Financial (Prime and Custom home loan products).
Insurance – our financial advisers can give advice on NZHL Life, Fidelity Life, and selected personal insurance products from nib, Partners Life, AIA and Vero (Fire and General) products.
Individual disclosure statement of the financial adviser dealing with you will clearly list the products they can advise on.
What do we charge our clients?
All our advice is free. We do not charge anything when you come to us for consultation. At present, for home loans we charge an application fee of $250.00 once your loan settles. There is no application fee for Insurance products.
How do we get paid for the services we provide to our clients?
Loan: Once your loan settles both NZHL and your financial adviser receive commissions from the lender. The commission amount can vary and is based on the loan amount. Any commission payable to your adviser is fairly consistent no matter what supplier is used. This helps ensure the advice we provide is solely focused on your goals and circumstances. This commission may be repayable to the loan supplier in full or partially if you repay any of the lending within first 12 months.
Insurance: Once your insurance policy is issued NZHL and your financial adviser receives commissions from the insurer. The commission amount is based on first year’s premium of your policy and depends on the insurance company and policy you choose. Any commission payable to your adviser is fairly consistent no matter what supplier is used; this helps ensure the advice is solely focused on obtaining the appropriate coverage based on your risks and financial circumstances. This commission may be repayable to the insurance company in full or partially if you cancel the policy within first 24 months. The adviser will continue to get paid a service fee for as long as you hold the policy with the insurer.
Other remuneration: Some of our advisers may also be remunerated through salary (as well as or instead of commissions). In addition, they may be eligible to receive variable remuneration based on business and individual performance. However, we ensure that any variable remuneration carefully considers client interests and includes elements that reward good client conduct and engagement.
The advice process followed by our advisers ensures our recommendations are made based on the client’s goals and circumstances.
Our complaints process
1. Start with your local office – If you have a problem or concern please talk to your local office, details of your local office can be found here on our website. They will do everything they can to resolve your issue.
2. Support Office escalations – If you are not happy with their resolution, please complete our complaints form, email us at [email protected] or call us on 0800 332 837. This will escalate your complaint to our national Support Office who will review your complaint and work through a resolution with you.
3. Disputes resolution service – If you are still not happy with the resolution provided or with the way your complaint was handled by NZHL, you can escalate the matter to our nominated disputes resolution service. NZHL is a member of Financial Services Complaints Limited (FSCL). FSCL is an independent dispute resolution service and is free for NZHL clients. The contact details for FSCL are: Freephone 0800 347 257 or email [email protected].
NZHL is a member of Financial Services Complaints Limited (FSCL). FSCL is an independent dispute resolution service and is free for NZHL clients. The contact details for FSCL are: Freephone 0800 347 257 or email [email protected].
Our duties and Obligations
NZHL, and anyone who gives financial advice on our behalf, have duties under the Financial Markets Conduct Act 2013 relating to the way that we give advice. We are required to:
- give priority to your interests by taking all reasonable steps to make sure our advice isn’t materially influenced by our own interests
- exercise care, diligence, and skill in providing you with advice
- meet standards of competence, knowledge and skill set by the Code of Professional Conduct for Financial Advice Services (these are designed to make sure that we have the expertise needed to provide you with advice)
- meet standards of ethical behaviour, conduct and client care set by the Code of Professional Conduct for Financial Advice Services (these are designed to make sure we treat you as we should, and give you suitable advice).
This is only a summary of the duties that we have. More information is available by contacting us, or by visiting the Financial Markets Authority website at https://www.fma.govt.nz.